June 7, 2010

autumnal inspiration

I've always thought living in Brisbane meant missing the changing of seasons.  The arrival of spring and the promise of summer doesn't have quite the same appeal as it did when I was living in England, but lately I've been struck by how lovely Brisbane is in the autumn.  Trees do shed their leaves, the air does become crisp and while it's still sunny and warm, it's a bearable heat that reminds me of late summer days from home, with the sun low in the sky and and a freshness that turns to cold by the the time it's dark.



I've been looking for inspiration for the quilt I plan to make for our son Max's first birthday.  31 March 2011 is a long way off yet but Ollie's quilt took me four months to complete, back in the day when I had more time (and probably spent less time blogging), so the pressure is on.  Anyway, the long and short of it is that I've been thinking of making an autumn inspired quilt top, greens, yellows, browns, oranges - a big tree quilt.  I mentioned this to Will, when he was walking home from the park the other evening, he picked up these beautiful leaves, the colours of which I think will make a gorgeous quilt.  The shades are quite amazing but I might experiment a bit to give the quilt a more contemporary palette.  Nothing like the onset of winter for sitting under a quilt in progress.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...