March 9, 2010

the function of pleasure



I can't recall where, but I recently read an article about the fashionable people, the people with more style and sense than those of us driven to visiting IKEA when we need shelving and hundreds of impossibly cheap tea lights.  The article concluded that the fashionable people were basically miserable, and a house full of well-designed, expensive things does not a happy person make.  I'm not sure all fashionable people are miserable and I didn't need to read the article to learn that things don't make you happy (though I do appreciate and understand the need for good design).  But the article did make me feel better that I was sitting on an IKEA dining chair rather than lounging on an Eames Rocker.

What it didn't do was stop me from wanting one.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...