March 18, 2010

patches

















Yesterday, I spent most of the day thinking about quilting.  I trawled some of my favourite blogs and went to my local patchwork and quilting shop for inspiration and ended the day feeling a bit overwhelmed!  I'm not entirely sure where to start as there are so many things I'd like to make, but I bought a few bits of fabric I liked the look of.  (I'm working on the theory that having fabric and batting lying around means I'm more likely to start a project when inspiration strikes rather than procrastinate.)

I have a small collection of patches already that I'm keen to add to.  It all started when I made a quilt for my son's first birthday last year.  I had never used a sewing machine before so it was quite the labour of love to invest in a machine, learn to use it and then make a quilt!  Thankfully, the end result was a success and is something that I'm very proud of.  It's also been great to learn a new skill, one which I'm still enthusiastic about.

I find it very meditative and satisfying to throw myself into a creative project and to devote time to something other than everyday chores.  The biggest hurdle is getting started rather than putting it off until 'I have time'.  Well, there's no laundry to do, we have groceries, the house is clean, Ollie is happily rediscovering every toy and book he can find... today could be the day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...